It’s a beautiful spring day at our West Milwaukee location! It is now time to not only organize your homes, but your wallets too. Not only can selling your old unwanted items at various places earn you extra money, but cleaning your house can help you save more than you realize. Here are a few tips on what to clean, so you can save:
1). Clean your light bulbs- cleaning your light bulbs can help save you money on energy.
2). Clean your refrigerator coils- cleaning the coils in the back of your fridge will make it run more efficiently. Here are the steps to clean:
- Pull your fridge away from the wall and unplug it.
- Find the coils—and the dust! (there’s sometimes a plate covering the coils)
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust, or soap and water if it looks really bad back there.
- Make sure coils are completely dry before replacing plate and moving fridge back.
3). Inspect your doors and windows- gaps where heat or cold air can escape will lose you money.
4). Clean your gutters- make sure your gutters are clean so water damage doesn’t ruin your home. Also, cleaning should be a priority so rust doesn’t affect your roof.
5). Clean your dishwasher- Keeping your dishwasher clean can save you energy and water. Here are guidelines on how to do this properly:
- Cut the power or unplug.
- Use vinegar and water to clean the racks and door
- Check the spinning arms and vents in there, clearing out any debris—a toothbrush works well for hard to reach areas
- Check around the door to make sure no dirt is preventing the seals from closing.
6). Cleaning your lint filter- every time you use your dryer, make sure to clean your lint filter in order to save energy.
Source: http://www.turn.org/, “7 Ways To Save Money With Spring Cleaning,” http://www.turn.org/consumer-tools/ct-energy/spring-cleaning.html